The WSU School of Medicine Office of Graduate Medical Education is committed to educating residents and fellows who are properly prepared to be effective practitioners who fulfill their professional roles in the context of patients' needs. At Wayne State, we believe that graduate medical education encompasses much more than these few years of training.
GME provides service to our communities, support to our peers, training to our residents and extends our medical knowledge, compassion and skills toward our mission of patient safety and quality health care. Want to know more? Peruse recent editions of our Residency Times newsletters, read more about our residency programs, or review an overall snapshot of Graduate Medical Education at Wayne State.
What are the advantages of residency training at Wayne State?
- Our affiliation with a historic, urban academic institution, with all the resources of a major US metropolitan area
- Our hospital partners offer a variety of high-quality clinical experiences and opportunities
- Our residents graduate well prepared for clinical practice, academic positions, or fellowship training
- Our Wellness Initiative to address resident well-being has achieved national recognition
As a resident at Wayne State, you have all the benefits associated with employment by a well-established research institution:
- All types of insurance, retirement savings plans, and tuition assistance for trainee and dependents
- Free financial and investment planning sessions with TIAA or Fidelity
- Free enrollment in Ulliance, a university-sponsored Employee Assistance Program for trainee and dependents
- Free enrollment in Wellness Warriors, a program that provides resources to help trainees achieve their total health goals
- Free access to WSUSOM's Shiffman Medical Library databases such as PubMed, MEDLINE, and UpToDate
Interested in primary care? Practicing in underserved areas of our state? Find out more about GME's participation in the new MIDOCS program in Michigan.
Here are the ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) deadlines for the 2023-24 season.
The Wayne State University School of Medicine now offers a three-year MD program,
the only one of its kind in Michigan.
This program is designed for students who have previous healthcare backgrounds and careers. It diversifies the School of Medicine's offerings for students who are ready to accelerate their career by completing medical school and receiving a conditional, non-binding acceptance into a Wayne State residency position upon completion. For details, see this site.